February 4, 2009

Meaningless Entertainment

I have been watching The Bachelor/Bachelorette for a few years now, but I would have to say that this season I have been a very faithful viewer. This type of television programming I like to call "Meaningless Entertainment" because you don't have to think about anything to "get" the storyline because there really isn't one. It rolls into the same category as daytime television (which I have to admit, I watch Days of Our Lives when I am home for lunch).

I am liking the fact that The Bachelor is on at 8pm for two hours this season. It doesn't seem to drag on this time around and I can actually stay awake for the entire episode. I have also been able to enjoy each show with my good friend P. with the odd bit of commentary coming out from behind the laptop.

I was very interested in watching this season when I found out that Jason (runner-up from last season if you will) was going to be "The Bachelor". He is definitely easy on the eyes and is the first in series history to be a single parent which I thought would give the show a whole new "look". And that it has. Some of the girls on the show obviously had no idea what it would be like to be an instant mother to a child and hence the reason for their early dismissal.

So after Monday's episode we are down to 4. Jillian, Melissa, Naomi and Molly all of which Jason has a strong bond with of course. Next week should give him a better idea as to who he would like to spend the rest of his life with because he travels to each girl's hometown and meets their families. Big episode indeed!

From the beginning, I have been rooting for Jillian, the 29 year old Interior Designer from Alberta. She has always had lots to say, but never catty like some of the others. I found that she stood out from the beginning when she cooked him up some hot dogs in order to test out her topping theory. Jason passes with flying colours when he garnishes his dog with mustard meaning that he would be one to take home to meet your mother. And that is where we are at with the hometown dates coming up.

During the season premiere, they showed several exerpts from the entire season one which revealed that DeAnna (The Bachelorette from last year that chose Jesse over Jason) makes an appearance on the show claiming that she made a mistake. This should add some definite drama to the show.

So there you go, my weekly "Meaningless Entertainment". Is there a show out there that you would consider Meaningless Entertainment? If so, share your thoughts.

1 comment:

SC said...

I am all over the Bachelor like a dirty shirt! I love Gillan too... I find it funny that all the girls left all seem to get along so well with each other. I think Gillan or Molly will be the last two standing. Can't wait for D to come back ... I think the clips make it more dramatic than it probably really is, but we will see.