January 26, 2009

What's for Dinner?

As you already know I work full-time and I have a husband that is very limited on his cooking skills. I always seem to struggle when it comes to making a healthy dinner for my family. It always seems to be something quick because the kids are "starving" by the time they get home from daycare.

I have attempted in the past to pre-cook some meals on the weekends, but with everything else that fills up my schedule such as laundry, cleaning and taking the kids here and there for their activities, the pre-cooked meals always get put on the back burner.

I also tried to create a weekly meal plan in hopes it would help my situation, but I always seem to be short on items when it comes time to make the meal.

We have designated one day a week as our "eat-out" night which usually consists of dinner at the mall for a couple of reasons. One, it is quick and we can each have what we want that night, and two because we can usually do our weekly "Wal-mart run" at the same time.

Our grocery shopping skills could probably use some work. Our lists are made up on the fly just as we are on our way out the door. Guaranteed everytime we get home from grocery shopping we have forgotten at least one item.

Any ideas...please help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always find it easier to get supper started at lunch hour. Do you go home for lunch? It would be quiet with the kids away and you can get so much done in that hour. Then when you get home supper is already started. Do you use your timer on your oven? Another great tid bit. I use mine all the time. Just some suggestions
Aunt Cyndy