April 21, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane

This week Leah and Chris are heading to Lethbridge, Alberta for a little visit with Gramma Ingrid and Bob and to also attend a wedding of a high school friend of Chris'. To most this is probably a little on the boring side and you are probably wondering why and the "bleep" I would want to blog about this. Well it is because this is Leah's first time going on a plane.

She has been up in a helicopter once (geez, I wonder how she scored that experience), but I think this is different. At this point I think that I am more nervous about this than she is. Leah has been known to have a little bit of anxiety when she is out of her comfort zone. She tends to get a little anxious when it comes to doing something new such as wondering who her teacher will be each September, when she gets a new swimming coach and even when she goes to visit my parents in the summer. This is something totally new and so far she doesn't seem to be nervous about it at all. (Ya I went and picked up some Gravol for kids tonight, I think I may have to take some too.) The only thing she wanted to know about the flight is, "what if I have to pee when I am on the plane mommy? Can I get up from my seat?"

So they head out to Toronto bright and early on Thursday morning. They are taking the Northern Airport Shuttle and should arrive in Toronto at 11:30ish. My good friend Jen is going to meet Leah and Chris for lunch and then they depart for Calgary at 2pm. Jen is also bringing Leah her birthday gift which she is really looking forward to receiving. Leah got a DS for her birthday and Jen got her a new game for it (one of which Leah wanted to buy tonight, but I steered her away from it.) The visit from Jen should make Leah less nervous just before she needs to board the plane. I know that it is making me a little calmer.

They have lots of plans when they get to Lethbridge. Chris is really excited to be able to show Leah where he grew up, where he lived, where he went to school and most of all the mountains. As a seven year old Leah is really excited to see the mountains. More importantly she wants to "climb the mountains". Her main concern, besides peeing on the plane, is what type of shoes she needs to climb the mountains with. I am not sure if they will get a chance to "climb the mountains" but they will for sure get the opportunity to get close to them. As I already mentioned, they are also attending the wedding of Sean Bailey and close high school pal of Chris'. This will give Chris a chance to see some of his friends that he hasn't seen in ages.

They return from their excursion out west on Monday the 27th and I am sure Leah will have lots of stories to tell and lots of things to show me as I am sure Gramma Ingrid and Bob will spoil her rotten while she is there.

So this weekend, back in the Bay, it will be young Caleb and myself basking in the sun and heat that we are expected to have. I am sure we will play a little hockey, and play catch and kick the ball around the backyard. I do hope it is a quiet weekend after the painfully busy weekend that just passed.

I will update you on their trip upon their return with some stories from a seven year old and some pictures.

No comments: