July 19, 2009

Summer Vacation

So far we have had some good times this summer. Despite the extremely non-summer like weather, we have managed to have some fun.

We started our summer off by taking a trip to Chatham. I wanted to do this for a couple of reasons. One, Leah is at the age where she is starting to appreciate the "little things". This visit gave me the chance to show her where I went to high school, the house that I lived in and even the fun places I used to go when I was younger. Two, we were able to meet up with some good family friends of mine which meant a lot to me for them to meet my children (they already met Chris before we were married). And three, we also stayed at the Wheels Inn. I used to work there when I was in high school so that was fun too. When I decided to organize this getaway, it came to my attention that the Wheels Inn was closing at the end of June, so this made it a definite booking.

We did a little bit of touring around the city after we got settled into our room. At first I wasn't sure if I would remember how to get from point A to point B because I hadn't been back in about 8 or 9 years. It all came back to me as soon as I started driving around. I showed them my high school, our old house and of course the Cone and Shake Shop (a favourite ice cream place of mine and my great friend Jen). The remainder of the weekend was spent at the hotel. The hotel has (or had now I guess) a mini indoor amusement park, waterslides and mini golf so the kids were sure to enjoy themselves.
When school finished up at the end of June, Leah went and spent a couple of weeks with my parents in Sault Ste. Marie. They camped in Thessalon, did some swimming both in Lake Huron and at the Queen Elizabeth pool. The visited with friends and family and made strawberry jam too. Is is the fourth summer now that Leah has gone away with my parents and she has a great time each time she goes. Her visit was extended last summer from one week to two and it always goes over the Canada Day long weekend. So where ever they are they always take in some Canada Day festivities.

So while Leah was away for two weeks, Caleb received some undivided attention from Mommy and Daddy. He really likes being outdoors. He loves to kick the soccer ball around, play on the swings, go to the park, and play road hockey so we decided to buy him a basketball net. He loves it. Every morning when he wakes up he want to go out and shoot some hoops. He is going to turn into a star athlete in something I am sure.
Next weekend I am headed out of town for a well-deserved, mommy-is-going-away-without-children holiday. I am headed down to Toronto to see and spend some time with my friend Jen. We have pedicures already booked for Saturday morning and we will see where the weekend takes us from there.
We are going to Thessalon for the long weekend in August where Caleb is going to get his chance to "go campin" with Gramma and Papa. It will only be for one night, but atleast he get his turn. Leah will stay with my parents again for another week as well.
Chris has a golf weekend lined up with some buddies of his. They are going to Lake Placid to watch some junior hockey and take in as much golf as they can in three days.
And we definitely can't forget the 3rd Annual Luau on Aberdeen. Our good friends and neighbours, Shawn and Patti put on a good party each summer. This is always a great time.
So then summer is pretty much over. Unbelievable! Back to school gets into full swing. I hope to do one more activity with the kids before August ends. Maybe the Toronto Zoo or perhaps Santa's Village.
Hope you are all enjoying your summer as well. I am having a difficult time uploading pictures to this post so visit my facebook page where I have posted them there.
Take care and I hope to blog again soon.


No comments: