February 19, 2009

When is it time to get rid of the “Blankie”?

Both my children were proud owners of “blankie” (from this point forward I will refer to as B). Caleb still is and that is the point of this post. As you all know there are times during the early years of our children that we have to wean them off of things. For me, it was the bottles, the soothers (not so much for Leah) and the infamous B.

Bottles were easy, soothers weren’t that bad, but both my kids were in love with their B. Leah had a nice yellow Roots B which she chewed the heck out of the corners (one of which she called “my toy”, it was the corner that had the tag) and Caleb is the owner of a blue B with the shiny edging all around it. He sleeps with his B and takes it out from his bedroom when he is sad otherwise it usually stays put.

Caleb will be turning 3 in a couple of months and I am wondering when I should and how I should dispose/hide B. When Leah gave up her B it was when she moved into a Big Bed so it was easy because she was a “big girl now”. Caleb has now been in his big bed for almost a year and B still exists. He is really attached to it and I don’t know where to start this time around. Do I simply just hide it and tell him it is gone? Do I explain the whole “you are a big boy now” rant? I don’t understand why I find that it is a harder challenge this time.











Any suggestions? The next challenge to tackle after this will be potty training. YIKES!

3 comments:

SC said...

PC's Mom tells the story of how she bought his B off him... for $5 so he could buy these hockey cards he really wanted. Naturally he was fine with it for the day, but come the night, he wanted his B back - she told him she sold it to another kid, who was more in need of it, and reminded him of the deal they made. Apparently he never mentioned it after that.

Maybe you need to wait until Caleb really wants something and use his blanket as a bargaining chip!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you handle the potty training before the blankie problem. Maybe if he's a big boy after that, he'll give up the blankie easier. Mom

Jenn said...

Why the need to 'wean' him from the blankie at all? Maybe he will just grow out of it on his own? Especially if he isn't packing it around with him everywhere, ie daycare, etc and it isn't some nasty, smelly item you can't stand having around... Just a thought. :)